Spreadsheet Task 1: Gradebook (Functional Skills ICT)
This activity is part of a series of resources to help teachers delivering Edexcel Level 2 Functional Skills in ICT. All resources provided here are the strict copyright of What2Learn Ltd and must not be published elsewhere without our written consent.
In this lesson students will develop skills in presenting data accurately using spreadsheet software. They will perform basic calculations and be introduced to using the IF function. More able students will also investigate the use of conditional formatting.
Standards addressed in this activity
- 2.1 select and use software applications to meet needs and solve complex problems.
- 3.1 manage files, folders and other media storage to enable efficient information retrieval.
- 6.1 apply a range of editing, formatting and layout techniques to meet needs.
- 7.1 process and analyse numeric data.
- 7.2 display numerical data in appropriate numeric form.
- 7.4 analyse and draw conclusions from a data set by searching, sorting and editing records.
- 8.1 organise electronic messages, attachments and contacts.
- 8.3 understand the need to stay safe and to respect others when using ICT-based software.
Click here to download the PowerPoint presentation ‘The IF Function’
Click here to download the worksheet ‘Grade Book Spreadsheet’
Teachers – reduce your marking and develop your student’s knowledge and motivation with W2L games. There are lots of spreadsheet-related activities for students to undertake. The best way to play these is for students to register for a free W2L account, log in and enter share code ‘832263’ to unlock the Functional Skills ICT topic. By logging in to play the activities scores will be recorded and attainment rewarded.
Suggested method of delivery:
Start by reading through the worksheet and the list of requirements (compulsory and desired). This should inform class discussion on which software applications should be used and how they should go about completing the task.
Before starting the task students should be introduced to the use of the IF function using the above PowerPoint presentation.
As a final plenary, it is important that the class have the opportunity to evaluate the selection, use and effectiveness of ICT tools used to complete the task.
As plenaries (and home learning) for all lessons, students should be encouraged to complete the interactive assessment tasks detailed above.